Do you know what’s in your popcorn?
It’s hard to imagine how a product largely comprised of corn can be so detrimental to health. Corn, in its organic state, is a high fiber grain and a good source of folic acid, vitamin C, and niacin (vitamin B3). And freshly made popcorn from organic corn kernels has been popular for many generations as a delicious, natural, healthy snack. However, the commercial microwavable version is fundamentally different, neither natural nor healthy, as it comes with a cocktail of toxins implicated in several health issues including Alzheimer’s, respiratory and lung disease, and chronic kidney disease to name a few.
The convenience, ease of preparation and intoxicating aroma are three reasons to make microwave popcorn, but here are three great reasons why you should not:
Butter flavoring in microwave popcorn causes disease
Diacetyl (DA) is a chemical used in microwavable popcorn that gives the product its distinctive flavor and aroma. A study published August 1, 2012 in the ACS journal of Chemical Research in Toxicologyindicates that DA increased the level of clumping of beta-amyloid protein in the brain. This clumping is a hallmark indicator of Alzheimer’s. DA also damages nerve cells, as this study warned of severe neurological toxicity in cases of overexposure to this chemical. Even products claiming to avoid DA are using similar artificial butter flavorings that unfortunately are other forms of diacetyl.